Friday, December 5, 2008

part 2

Favorite Christmas movies continued

#1-5

5. Miracle on 34th Street (1946)
I really really love Maureen O'Hara! But I also love her apartment, Natalie Wood, how Santa speaks Dutch to the Dutch girl, the New York setting, and how Susan kept the magazine clipping of her dream house - a girl after my own heart!
I'm a believer!




4. White Christmas (1954)

There are a three reasons why this movie is in my top five: the songs, the dances, and the cast! I still want to be Vera Ellen when I grow up... Not to mention, who wouldn't want to spend Christmas in Vermont with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye!

"Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister, and Lord help the sister who comes between me and my man!"

3. Elf (2003)

Probably Will Ferrell's best movie, in my opinion. I love Bob Newhart in this too! This is what Coach and I watch while we decorate the tree!





2. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
There are so many classic scenes and quotes in this movie, that you need to see it just for cultural literacy's sake! And when we are visiting family during the holidays - we all feel like we can relate to the Griswolds...




1. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
My family and I actually watch this every Christmas. It is Jimmy Stewart at his best! His character George Bailey is a timeless example of a "little man's" hero. The last 15 minutes of the film contain some of the most memorable scenes in movie history. I still get teary-eyed when Harry Bailey gives a toast to his brother George "the richest man in town". To me, it is the most inspirational movie of all time, and one of the greatest stories ever told!



*Disclaimer* I will watch A Christmas Story for the first time ever this year, so if what I have heard is true, it probably belongs somewhere on this countdown.

Happy movie watching!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We always watched It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve too. This year it will become part of Stephen and I's tradition!

Red High Heels said...

After you watch " A Christmas Story" it will totally be in your top five for sure. It is a classic.